Thursday 7 August 2014

Irish honesty



If you went through Dublin airport recently you may have noticed the above "Plane water" display in the hallway between security and "The loop" shopping area.

I didn't pay attention at first, but after a second look, I realised it was completely unattended. There was just a big box in the middle, where you could insert your money.

My first thought was: "Wow, they really are counting on people's honesty with this... Who is going to buy a bottle of water when you can just take it for free and no one will know?"

Then I saw two persons taking a bottle, and put money in the box.

I decided to get one for myself. After all, I needed one for the flight (No way I was buying the overpriced Ryanair water). After seeing other people actually pay for it, I came to the conclusion that I should pay too. I'm not a thief, and it was only one Euro (As a matter of fact, the same bottles were more expensive in the other airport shops).

After I paid, I turned around and saw at least ten people behind me, looking a bit puzzled by the whole thing, just the way I felt a few minutes before. And they ALL started to open their purse to buy a bottle.

Here are a few thoughts about this experience:

There is hope in this world.
There are still honest people.
Dublin airport really trust its passengers
They probably make money even if some people don't pay, or they wouldn't do it.
People are afraid someone will see them stealing ?
It might be some sort of positive crowd psychology effect: Everyone is paying, so I'll do it too...

I've never seen that anywhere else, and certainly not in France. I doubt that it would work, especially in big airports like Charles De Gaulle. 

What about you, would you have paid ?